Tuesday, April 19, 2011

a reality

Gerard and I think that what we're going through is probably not uncommon.  Probably lots of couples go through this, but probably most of them don't try to write sex blogs!

I used to write about us fighting a lot.  Well, we don't do that anymore.  We got over the strain of learning to live together, of being scared of committing to each other.  We still have arguments, but they are much less frequent and much less escalated.  Considering the amount of stress that we're under and the close quarters in which we're both living and working, I think we're doing awesome.

Yeah, we're not having any problem in the companionship area.  We love each other.  We're talking more often about our plan to eventually get married and have a baby, and we're both getting a little bit less freaked out by that every time we discuss it.  We support each other, we work together, we nurture each other... we spend more time together than probably either of us would prefer, but we're making the most of that (in most ways, anyway).  I can say this unequivocally: We're happy.

We're also affectionate.  We hug a lot.  We snuggle.  We touch each other.  Gerard likes to spank me a little bit every day.  We say that we love each other.  He sings me songs; I tell him why I think he's special.  We have no shortage of affection.

But what we do have a shortage of is SEX.  Sometimes I can't believe that we once had the most amazing sex I'd ever had in my entire life.  Yesterday my best friend told me this story about the mind-bending sex she had with her lover, and I couldn't even imagine what that might feel like.  It's been more than three weeks since the last time that I had Gerard inside of me, and sometimes I feel like I'm going to go crazy.

Turns out that he's sexually frustrated too.  He wants to have sex too.  But somehow we're not doing it.  I feel like I initiate with some regularity... but it doesn't work that well when I do.  We both like it when he's the aggressor.  We have better sex when he's the one doing the pursuing, and I'm capitulating to his desires (at least, that's the story we tell ourselves-- and it works!).  But he's not feeling it.  He says he just doesn't feel turned on.

I think some of the problem is intimacy.  Intimacy is scary.  Before he moved in, we always had the distance between our apartments to keep things from getting more intimate than we were ready for.  Then he moved in, and we had fighting to keep us from getting too intimate. But now... now we're here together all the time and we're not fighting.  We're more intimate than we've ever been.  Maybe regular sex would just be more closeness than either of us can handle right now.

But, presumably, we could both work on our intimacy issues and eventually it wouldn't feel so scary anymore, and we'd start having that crazy-perfect sex that was once one of our defining features.  That's the theory that I'm trying to believe in.

In the meanwhile, we have to come up with strategies to help us improve.  Gerard likes it when I explore with girls, so I hit Craig's List last night.  He also asked me to touch him in certain ways more frequently.  I gave him some feedback about the way that he touches me too.  And we're just going to try to be more open to each other.

Because, I'd like to say... having a little intrigue with other people occasionally is fun and titillating, but what I really want-- what I want more than anything else-- is Gerard.  It all starts and ends with him.

Anyway, when I started this blog I said I was going to write about the reality of a long-term relationship between two people who know they're sensitive and damaged.  You readers saw us overcome our fighting and my depression... so now we've got a new problem.  And here I am being embarrassingly honest about it.

I hope you see us get through this one as well.

6 comments:

  1. Well, it could be "intimacy saturation" that's making sex appear on the menu less often, but I think it's more likely the plain ol' vanilla experience of settling down with someone. It's like the old joke - put a penny in a jar for each time you have sex during the first year of a marriage, and take one out for every time after that year, and you'll never run out of pennies. Your sex life needs to get fed and nurtured just like the rest of your relationship. There are times it does fall to the wayside for perfectly valid reasons (ask me how I know!), and it takes work to resurrect it.

    I used to read freddyandeddy.com. It's written by a married couple who really work at their sexual relationship - they used to post a calendar on their site about which nights they had sex - yes, they have quite a lot of it, but it was refeshing because sometimes they'd comment about how things DIDN'T work out how they planned. (I couldn't find that feature on their site just now, but the point still stands - even amazing sex has hiccups.)

    It sounds like you guys are doing the work to feed your sexuality - so I believe in your theory that "crazy perfect sex" is coming back your way. Enjoy the hell out of it when it comes!

    kj

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting because I think it works the other way round for us - we have to feel intimate & connected to have sex! We're not together 24/7 so have to work at staying connected/reconnecting... Having said that, we have have sex at least 5 nights a week on average, and we've been married coming up 12 years and been together nearly 17...

    We don't really understand those articles about how married people never have sex, either. But then we have six kids, so obviously we have lots of sex (or we wouldn't have six kids in the first place!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Raises her glass to Mamacrow's marriage* Right on! It isn't like that for everyone, and I think there are a lot of reasons why people go through drier spells.

    Thanks for being honest here - it sounds like you're both communicating about it and so hopefully that leads to some good ways to find a solution.

    Maybe take the sex outside the apartment? Sometimes changing the location up can sort of hit a reset button for us, whether that's when we're traveling, or out in the woods, or any appropriate-to-be-naughty place...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Honey.... when Syr and I needed to reconnect sexually, particularly in the first couple of years settling into living together, we would go away to a hotel (a local one!) or rent a little cabin (you can make more noise in a private cabin lol) for some much needed reconnect time.

    One interesting point - I got alarmed when our sex frequency slowed down at first, because I was concerned something was broken. But when I relaxed about it, I realized that when we lived apart, my primary source of intimacy/touching was our sexual touch and interaction. Once the deeper love and reality of living with one another happened, I found that I get a lot of satisfaction and intimacy out of the smaller things and sex (while still very very very good and needed and wanted) was less of a driving need as it once was - which ultimately I think is a good thing. Having a really solid relationship where you touch and talk frequently may not *seem* as exciting as tons of crazy sex - but I find is ultimately much more satisfying. Now, my intimacy needs and Hers are met in a variety of ways....

    Though I have to admit that I am really looking forward to the empty nest years when we have more privacy at home to explore those urges when they happen without worrying about privacy. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. {nods at alena}--yeah, what she said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great points, you guys. I think what you said, Alena, fits a bit for us. Gerard likes to say that "sex isn't the most important thing anymore," and I appreciate the truth of that and all the accompanying things to be grateful for. I do just wish we had *more* sex, though. But we're working on it. Hopefully 3 weeks don't go by again unless we've got a really good reason. :)

    ReplyDelete